Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Year Ago Today...



Today marks the year anniversary of the day I got my current job. From the 8 hours of interviews over the course of 2 days they gave me the news that would save my current state of life.

 It can’t be a whole year that has gone by…Can it? Really? A year ago at this time my entire world got turned upside down.

I had been working for my previous company for 4 years and it was my saving grace. The two men I had worked for gave me the big break I needed to finish school & get my bachelor’s in Math. They let me go to school in the morning and let me come there to work in the afternoon. They didn’t care that I only came in for 2-3 hours, all they cared about it is that I finished school. The job was 5 minutes from my parent’s house, and I was lucky enough to be able to save enough money over the 4 years to put a down payment on my lil condo. It was great, but I knew one day I would leave the comfort of that office because there was no mobility at all & it was a tiny company. However, I didn’t expect to lose my job as suddenly as I did.

I’m still not clear about the actual sequence of events but trying to eliminate a partner in the company, took down the whole foundation it was built on. It was less than 3 months ago that I had signed the papers for my condo chaining myself to a mortgage, I had just finished my degree the summer before so I didn’t have a lot of savings left, and had a slue of health issues that required me to need health insurance and suddenly the floor got ripped out from under me. I panicked. They gave us a month left to work, no severance, no Christmas bonus, no continuing health coverage due to it being such a small company that was disbanding. It sucked, plain and simple.

I had already known the wrath of the recession; my Mom has lost 3 jobs in the past 10 years due to downsizing, changes in ownership, and relocating to save money which caused me to leave my original college plans; but this job loss could have cost me everything. 

But one day my Mom found a letter from a few years ago about a permanent job placement agency and I remember telling the lady as long as I have health insurance I’ll take anything. Low & behold a marketing analyst position was open which required a math degree and applied computer skills. Jackpot.   I wore my lil suit jacket, printed out my resumes, and strutted into my current office w/ my confidence flared. It was a match and they called me to start working April 1st, 2011. 

A whole year ago. A friend of mine told me recently she hasn’t really felt the recession in the U.S. After I gave her a very cold look, I told her she was lucky, ever so lucky. I got lucky to find a job, and even though it may drive me crazy every other day, I am truly lucky to have my job.

 What a crazy turn of events, but I'm glad I panicked and called that agency a year ago. *Sigh of relief*

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found your current job! It's amazing how quickly things can go from good to bad in this economy, and how some people don't even realize the severity of the situation. I'm glad your job is working out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so remember reading your posts about it on your other blog. So glad that you are doing well, sweetie. Congrats on 1 year in your new job. Muah

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great- your posts are always nice to read!
    xx the cookies
    share the feeling
    visit<3
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey love, glad that you have been enjoying your blog!

    You entered my Fashion to Figure giveaway correctly, so you are all set! Thanks for entering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, instead of blog I should have said job, lol! Sorry, blogging must be on the mind obviously, ha ha. Have a great night! ;0)

    ReplyDelete